Your deliverable for this ITC596 task is an IT Risk Assessment report, written for the intended audience of management providing a risk assessment of a project. The project can be in any of the following areas:
- Internet of Things
- Cloud security
- Mobile health devices
- Bring Your Own Device
- Smart vehicles
- Or an area in your profession
1.You can work towards the scenario provided below; or
2.You also have the opportunity to choose your own scenario-based risk assessment that could potentially be drawn from your own professional experience or context. The second option requires a discussion with and approval by your Subject Coordinator. The report structure requirements and criteria should be the same regardless of your scenario.
You have been hired as the IT Risk Assessment lead consultant for Gigantic Corporation (your specialisation is based on the area you have chosen above). Your role is to be the interface between business stakeholders and technologists, translating potential technical difficulties into risk language to facilitate effective decision-making by stakeholders. You have been engaged to assess a project that falls into your specialised area. Once you complete a full assessment, you are required to provide the IT assessment report to the management in the department or section that is running the project for Gigantic.
How to complete this task:
1. You will write a report on the project IT risks based on the scenario.
2. Your report must be a Microsoft Word document, 10 – 15 pages in length at 12 point font and single spacing. The report must address the following criteria:
An Executive Summary at the beginning of the report which provides a clear statement of the technology project that is being assessed, and an overview of your recommendations to management as to the merits of the project based on your risk assessment (2 – 3 pages in length).
A risk assessment based on threats, vulnerabilities and consequences derived from an IT control framework and any existing industry risk recommendations for the project. Identify and discuss the key threat agents. What could be done to mitigate the risks and their impact on the system? (4 – 10 pages in length).
Provide a brief summary (literature review) of protection mechanisms you could employ for the information security. (2 – 4 pages in length).
3. The report is worth 15 marks of the overall marks available for assessment 3.
Engaging with scenario-based tasks provides you with the opportunity to simulate real world application of your learning in this subject.
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcomes:
- be able to justify the goals and various key terms used in risk management and assess IT risk in business terms.
- be able to critically analyse the various approaches for mitigating security risk, including when to use insurance to transfer IT risk.
- be able to critically evaluate IT security risks in terms of vulnerabilities targeted by hackers and the benefits of using intrusion detection systems, firewalls and vulnerability scanners to reduce risk.
Due Date: 30-Sep-2018
Return Date: 18-Oct-2018
Assessment item 3
Applying Ethical Theory
Value: 20%Due Date: 19-Sep-2018Return Date: 14-Oct-2018Length: 1400-1500 wordsSubmission method options: Alternative submission method
Write an essay according to the following instructions.
Your lecturer will provide few links for relevant articles and/or case studies. These will be available to you just after your second assignment submission date.
- Choose one of the media articles or case studies listed by the lecturer in your Interact 2 subject site. Use the title of the article/case study provided in interact 2 as the title of your essay, so that the lecturer knows which article you are analysing.
- Undertake further research about your chosen case, to assist you in analysing and discussing it in your essay. Analyse the article/case study from the perspective of four classical ethical theories including utilitarianism, deontology, contract, and virtue. Your essay should present well-reasoned arguments for your assessments and recommendations.
- Write an overall conclusion that justifies your recommendations made in your essay.
- Include a Reference list at the end of your work, in the correct APA referencing style, corresponding to in-text citations. The word limit for the essay is 1400-1500 words. Headings, citations and references do not count towards the word limit, but quotations do.
NOTE: Please use the template provided in resources section of this subject site.
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
- be able to identify ethical issues related to ICT.
- be able to assess the implications of ethical problems.
- be able to critically evaluate solutions to ethical problems.
- be able to apply ethical theories to ethical problems.
- be able to argue consistently and rationally about the moral issues raised by the adoption and use of ICT.
- be able to analyse ethical situations using critical thinking techniques.
This assessment extends the skills practiced in Assessment item 1 and 2, to help you to achieve all the learning objectives.
In addition to identifying a contentious situation in ICT and dissecting the argument(s) about it, you must also now demonstrate the ability to evaluate the elements of the argument by introducing classical ethical principles where appropriate.
Since Assessment item 1 and 2, your knowledge will have grown, and you will now realise that almost all ICT ethical dilemmas can be classified under one of the main ICT ethical issues that are discussed in this subject; for instance, surveillance is a sub-issue of privacy, harmful software is a sub-issue of ICT professionalism, and piracy is a sub-issue of intellectual property.
In ICT, the main ethical issues are taken to be:
- ICT professionalism
- Intellectual property
- Regulation on the internet
- Social inclusion
- Community and identity
- Pervasive and convergent computing.
The assessment item is designed to help you to build skills towards achieving the learning objectives, by requiring you to:
- identify an ICT-related ethical issue from a media article or case study;
- apply classical ethical theory to the analysis of an ethically questionable situation to determine the rightness or wrongness of actions/decisions made therein;
- derive logical and justifiable conclusions to resolve the ethical issue(s);and,
- apply proper academic referencing.
Marking criteria and standards
The following marking sheet will be used to assess students’ submissions.
Please check that you have met all the criteria before you submit your assignment.
Due Date: 19-Sep-2018
Return Date: 14-Oct-2018
Length: 1400-1500 words
Submission method options: Alternative submission method