Reflection on Professional Self
For this first week’s reflection exercise, write a guided journal entry or informal essay reflecting on your personal experiences and your future goals.
To prepare for this journal,
· Watch this video from Scott Desmond, Ted Talks speaker and founder of Live Your Legend career services.
o How to Find and Do Work You Love | Scott Dinsmore | TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D) (Links to an external site.)
· Reflect on the following before writing your journal submission.
o Scott cites that 80% of us don’t enjoy the work we are doing. Are you part of this 80%? What work are you currently doing and what are you hoping to pursue now that you are completing your education degree? Do your goals and interests align?
· Answer the following questions posed by Scott in the video:
o What are your unique strengths? How will you apply these to your future position? (1-2 paragraphs)
o What do you value most? Will your career match or support these values? How so? (1-2 paragraphs)
o What are experiences, both positive and negative, that have shaped your choice of career and will influence your work? (1-2 paragraphs)
o How will you define success? (1 paragraph)
The Reflection on Professional Self Journal:
· Must be 2-3 pages in length (not including title) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted