Estimated Balance Sheet
March 31, 2013
Cash $ 40,000
Accounts receivable 342,248
Raw materials inventory 98,500
Finished goods inventory 325,540
Total current assets 806,288
Equipment, gross 600,000
Accumulated depreciation (150,000)
Equipment, net 450,000
Total assets 1,256,288
Liabilities and Equity
Accounts payable 200,500
Short-term notes payable 12,000
Total current liabilities $ 212,500
Long-term note payable 500,000
Total liabilities 712,500
Common stock 335,000
Retained earnings 208,788
Total stockholders� equity 543,788
Total liabilities and equity $ 1,256,288
To prepare a master budget for April, May, and June of 2013, management gathers the following information.
a. Sales for March total 20,500 units. Forecasted sales in units are as follows: April, 20,500; May, 19,500; June, 20,000; July, 20,500. Sales of 240,000 units are forecasted for the entire year. The product�s selling price is $23.85 per unit and its total product cost is $19.85 per unit.
b. Company policy calls for a given month�s ending raw materials inventory to equal 50% of the next month�s materials requirements. The March 31 raw materials inventory is 4,925 units, which complies with the policy. The expected June 30 ending raw materials inventory is 4,000 units. Raw materials cost $20 per unit. Each finished unit requires 0.50 units of raw materials.
c. Company policy calls for a given month�s ending finished goods inventory to equal 80% of the next month�s expected unit sales. The March 31 finished goods inventory is 16,400 units, which complies with the policy
d. Each finished unit requires 0.50 hours of direct labor at a rate of $15 per hour.
e. Overhead is allocated based on direct labor hours. The predetermined variable overhead rate is $2.70 per direct labor hour. Depreciation of $20,000 per month is treated as fixed factory overhead.
f. Sales representatives� commissions are 5% of sales and are paid in the month of the sales. The sales manager�s monthly salary is $3,000 per month.
g. Monthly general and administrative expenses include $12,000 administrative salaries and 0.9% monthly interest on the long-term note payable.
h. The company expects 30% of sales to be for cash and the remaining 70% on credit. Receivables are collected in full in the month following the sale (none is collected in the month of the sale).
i. All raw materials purchases are on credit, and no payables arise from any other transactions. One month�s raw materials purchases are fully paid in the next month.
j. The minimum ending cash balance for all months is $40,000. If necessary, the company borrows enough cash using a short-term note to reach the minimum. Short-term notes require an interest payment of 1% at each month-end (before any repayment). If the ending cash balance exceeds the minimum, the excess will be applied to repaying the short-term notes payable balance.
K. Dividends of $10,000 are to be declared and paid in May.
l. No cash payments for income taxes are to be made during the second calendar quarter. Income tax will be assessed at 35% in the quarter and paid in the third calendar quarter.
m. Equipment purchases of $130,000 are budgeted for the last day of June.
Prepare the following budgets and other financial information as required. All budgets and other financial information should be prepared for the second calendar quarter, except as otherwise noted below. Round calculations up to the nearest whole dollar, except for the amount of cash sales, which should be rounded down to the nearest whole dollar:
-raw materials budget
-direction labor budget
-factory overhead budget
-selling expense budget
-general and administrative expense budget
-budget income statement of the entire first quarter (not for each month separately)/
-budgeted balance sheet as of the end of the second calendar quarter.